Qualities for being a good Ashtanga yoga teacherNovember 25, 2017
The Evolution of Ashtanga YogaNovember 25, 2017
Modern day health science has deemed Yoga to be one of the most effective routines which when done seriously can yield fantastic results. It has the ability to help you maintain a perfect balance between physical and mental harmony which means both your physical fitness as well as your mental fitness gets taken care of. But there is still a minor issue that anyone undergoing yoga classes experience. The lack of intense physical activity often tends to bore the young mind who in modern times is running out of patience. This is where the yoga teacher has a vital role to play. He or she has the ability to convert these boring yoga sessions into exciting ones and in the meantime, generate a certain sense of seriousness within the subject who in time will learn the essence of the art and start to engage himself in yoga more ardently.
The qualities that matter
There are good yoga teachers and then there are great ones. For you to be the latter you have to learn 8 qualities which have the potential to turn you into a great one. It must be kept in mind that there are no set standards of being a great yoga instructor but these qualities matter when young yoga enthusiasts aspire to become great yoga teachers. Read on to learn them.
- Authenticity: I truly believe that it is love that brings about practice and not the sense of duty. Only the teachers who were able to keep their love and hence their practice intact are able to teach from their own lineage and share their life experiences. This installs a certain degree of trust and respect for the teacher among the students. Being authentic in his approach is what differentiates a good yoga teacher from an ordinary one.
- Compassion: In the practice of yoga pains, injuries and aches are very common yet they have the potential to cultivate frustration within a student and make him despise the thought of further practice. The teacher in such cases can help his student defeat the frustration by showing compassion towards his feelings. He has to motivate him constantly and feel for him nonetheless. The teacher has to be compassionate and not disregard their pain is trivial. He must challenge his students yet know their limits and protect them from inflicting pain upon themselves.
- Humility: It is very common for a teacher to teach from a competitive and authoritative point of view yet it is very crucial for him to teach with an attitude of a student. He must keep the student within himself alive and look to their wards as teachers too. Each student has different body structures and backgrounds and hence they have a lot of variety to offer on the Yoga mat. A humble teacher makes sure to learn each and every aspect of his students and incorporate newer techniques which will suit their structure better. Being humble also makes you a favorite among your students.
- Practice consistently: In order to carry on with his lineage of yoga, a teacher must himself continue to practice yoga consistently. It enables him to be authentic in the art and true to his heart. It is always better to practice what you preach in order to keep your authenticity intact. Your practice teaches you and you, in turn, impart that knowledge to your students.
- Shun the ego: Being egoistic while teaching yoga can be very catastrophic both for you and your students. Firstly, the student will lose respect for you and then he will start to lose interest in yoga too. You might be very good at your yoga but you need to be a good yoga teacher. You must not let your ego control your practice as well. Remain down to earth and practice thoroughly and leave all traces of ego when you are with your student.
- Leading by example:The path of yoga is an eight-limbed one. The sutras of yoga include all kinds of ethical and moral guidelines which helps in living a yoga-based lifestyle even outside the asana practice. A yoga teacher must be able to honor these principles and aspects of yoga and accept them in their own lives. This way they can lead by example and inspire his students into the world of yoga.
- Challenge your students:Being compassionate towards your students is utterly mandatory. Having said that it is also important for teachers to challenge the yoga skills of his students in order to develop them further.
- Non-attachment: Lastly being attached to your students will harm you in the long run. A time will come when your relationship with any particular student will end and at that moment you just need to move forward.