A giant global corporation, a medium-sized manufacturing company, a small tech startup or a simple one-man accounting firm – in some form or other, they all have one common goal: increasing profit. The most reliable way to maximize profit is to improve productivity and reduce cost, and this is where the importance of health and fitness starts becoming obvious.The integration of yoga in modern corporate culture, as part of a structured wellness program, is a result of this new-found understanding
Interestingly, it takes relatively minor changes in the workplace, coupled with small lifestyle modifications to result in surprising improvements in efficiency, focus, and overall health. This exactly is how the integration of yoga in modern corporate culture can lead to increased productivity and a reduction in absenteeism healthcare cost. Here are some areas where the of the advantages of a well-constructed corporate yoga program are apparent:
- Posture: One of the most visible results of a good yoga program is the improvement in posture, especially while seated. Yoga helps in stretching and conditioning most muscle groups and joints, resulting in improved mobility and reduced aches and stiffness
- Breathing: As we get caught up in the fast-paced work environment, it can be easy to lose track of important things. The awareness of breathing is a central pillar of yoga postures, and can strongly influence relaxation and focus. This, by itself, is a strong reason to push for the integration of yoga in modern corporate culture, as a means to improving efficiency and focus
- Energy: Physical activity is one of the easiest ways to increase energy. This leads to better performance at the workplace – yoga is a great way to stay active even towards the end of the day.
- Immunity: Yoga plays an important role in improving blood flow and stimulating the lymphatic system, thus boosting immunity. By placing gentle stress on bones, it also encourages increased calcium deposits and a resulting increase in bone density and strength
- Digestion: By the simple action of reducing sedentary practices, yoga can reduce common disorders like indigestion, acidity or heartburn. In addition, there are specific yoga postures that can improve digestion
- Flexibility: While physical flexibility is an important to benefit of yoga, many employees have also discovered an increased flexibility in other aspects of their lives. By being less rigid, they have managed to decrease anxiety and stress in a constantly changing corporate environment.
Mental and Emotional
- Stress: The biggest advantage of the integration of yoga in modern corporate culture is a clear reduction in stress levels. This leads to improved productivity and inter-personal interactions in the organization
- Focus: Using the twin-advantages of controlled movement and breathing, yoga increases the ability to control the mind and improve focus – an important skill in today’s corporate work environment
- Confidence: Yoga imparts a deep knowledge about the body and its capabilities, leading to an increase in awareness of individual strength and flexibility. While it cannot be measured in the traditional sense, there is a discernible increase in confidence in employees that participate in corporate yoga programs.
- Morale: This is an often-overlooked, but important benefit of yoga at the workplace. Yoga offers opportunities for employees to bond and develop a sense of teamwork. And since it can be a fun activity, yoga contributes to increased workplace morale
According to a recent study by a well-known health journal, there is a clear connection between holistic health programs like yoga and a consequent reduction in annual health insurance costs. These are clear reasons for the integration of yoga in modern corporate culture, both from a cost and productivity perspective, making it a logical decision for human resource departments.